Blast from the Past: part 1. comic strip



I was just browsing through my old images I have from my pretentious years back in university (has it changed?) Saw this comic strip of an old man. I was exploring the ideas of sentiment and sentimentality (OooOooO) through mundane moments at the twilight of the old man's life. I guess it was a complimentary piece to the old man exploration I was doing.
Here's a few boards for ideas of things an old man would do.

Here's a lil diddy in 3d: Jolly Melancholies (Original)
and the 'old man on the can' (actual title)







Apart from my obsession with old men (don't ask why...:P)I was pretty obsessed with Chris Ware at the time in 2006, as well as Robert Crumb.
And I really gravitated toward their way of presenting relatively appealing characters in dark comedic scenarios (even borderline perverse)
Here was my take on exploring a story of an old man and a dog.

This time i really wanted to juxtapose the framing devices of comic books and framing in film. The genius that is Chris Ware and his exploration and innovation of page frame layout has intrigued me.

Scott Mcloud's Making Comics has always been an essential read that I go back from time to time... Evidently the read has found a broader reference outside comic books, and into video game designers short list.


I'll post more soon.
 

jamuck blog Design by Insight © 2009