ICON :The Catalogue arrives




So you can see the image from the catalogue in color here: AKIMBO

My how times flies. I recently received my catalogue copy of the video themed commission I was part of, "Icon, Villain, Antihero". It looks pretty snazzy. I love the glossy text finish on matte cover.
And the nifty 'ntsc' like style of odd and even fields of what appears to be an image of Tim Curry from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

My film ' Construct a Nation of Couture and Peace!" was part of the first series titled ICON. My film discussed the idea of film/media icons and how it pertains to American/Japanese relations during the postwar occupation. I appropriated footage and images from various sources, Tetsuwan Atom, Astro Boy, Gene Kelly films, World War II photographs, and propaganda films and combined it in After Effects, and 3d. The other artists part of my series was Aram Siu Wai Collier (a hilarious film edited together of Lou Diamond Phillips from his various roles) , Maria Legault (a music video with a fabricated celebrity, Marie-Minou) , Kathleen Smith (an homage to Werner Herzog's work with her walk to the Toronto Zoo) , and Jenn E Norton (A kaleidoscopic visual representation of the creation of a star).


Here's what writer MARUSYA BOCIURKIW summarized about my film:

Things get even more dreamlike, perhaps even a little nightmarish, in Jeffrey Tran's 'Construct a Nation of Couture and Peace!' The title evokes Communist slogans and implies a sinister tone to fashion's dictates. ... These images represent the collision of Japanese and American culture in postwar Japan, but they also speak to the globalized and hybridized nature of popular culture itself..."

....and so on and so forth. They get it! Woo hoo! Then again, it wasn't cryptic ... It's crazy that it's been 3 seasons ago now that I made this,
and to have my first commissioned work with Trinity Square Video was a great experience and opportunity for me. Congrads to Trinity Square Video and all the artists involved on the completion of this series.
 

jamuck blog Design by Insight © 2009